It can be a challenge to find time for yourself to get refreshed when you are a homeschool mom. Homeschooling is wonderful but it can leave you feeling drained by the end of the day. Things like laundry, taking care of the kids, doing school with the kids, meal preparation, family time, life, church, and nurturing my marriage can leave me feeling tired and drained by the end of the day. Those things are all great and necessary but they do take energy.
THE IMPORTANCE OF MAKING TIME FOR YOURSELF
We all want to love our children well and be the best moms we can be. That can be very hard to do when you aren’t making time for yourself to have fun and get refreshed. Everyday we spend time pouring into our precious kids. We will not have anything left to give if we don’t take time to refill. Just like you can’t pour from a pitcher that is empty, you can’t pour into your kids lives if you are not filled up. I believe it’s important to take time daily to refill. Also plan for a longer time to yourself on a weekly to monthly basis. Whatever it is that you need.
SIGNS YOU NEED TO BE REFRESHED
This can be different for everyone but for me there are a few things that tell me I need to be refreshed.
- I get irritated at the kids more easily than usual.
- I feel drained and just want everyone to “go away”.
- I find myself yelling at the kids when frustrated.
- I get stressed and overwhelmed easily.
Like I said, this will look different for everyone and some of these things could be signs of other issues that need to be addressed. The key is to knowing yourself and when you need to take time to get refreshed.
HOW TO MAKE THE TIME
How do we as moms find time to refill so we can lovingly take care of our families? You have to MAKE the time. Are you a morning person? Get up a little earlier. Are you a night person? Stay up later after everyone goes to bed. Schedule a night or two every month that you can leave the house by yourself or with your husband or a friend. Go grocery shopping by yourself after your husband gets home from work. Use the kids’ nap time wisely. Team up with a friend and take turns watching each other’s kids. Whatever you do, it’s going to have to be on purpose. If we don’t purposefully find the time to refresh ourselves it won’t happen.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO GET REFRESHED?
Here are some things that I enjoy on a regular basis:
- Read my Bible and pray
- Watch my favorite tv shows on Netflix or DVDs that I own
- Do my nails
- Browse online (read my favorite blogs, browse Pinterest, online shopping)
- Read a book
- Eat some ice cream or chocolate (I always keep a secret stash! ;))
- Spend time on the phone or text with a good friend or sibling. It is always very refreshing for me to be able to talk to my three wonderful sisters or brother or a dear friend.
Here are a few things I do on a weekly to monthly basis:
- Go out with a good friend.
- Schedule a regular night out every month. For me this is my Bunko night. I love the ladies in my Bunko group. It’s a fun, mindless game wth snacks and good company. 🙂
- Go on a date with your husband.
- Join a Bible study group.
- Go to a conference ( I am going to one in a few weeks and am really excited for it!)
Is it hard for you to make time for yourself? What do you like to do to get refreshed?