I was sitting and reading my Bible one day and came across Psalm 84:3. This is what it says:
I had read this verse before but it jumped out at me this time. I saw a picture of a bird building her home and raising her young in God’s presence and it resonated with me. When I read it that day, I thought, “Yes! That’s what I want! I want to build my home up in Your presence. I want my children to know You, be mindful of You and abide in You. I want to raise my children up to know You and love You.”
PURPOSEFULLY BUILDING OUR NEST
The bird builds her nest. This was purposeful. We can purposefully “build our nest” and live in His presence. He is always there. Will we enter in in our everyday lives?
Not only does the bird build her nest in God’s presence but she raises her young there. I can’t think of a better place to raise our children than in God’s presence, can you? That is what I want for me and for my children.
RAISING OUR CHILDREN IN HIS PRESENCE
When I close my eyes and picture this verse in my mind, it is such a beautiful, peaceful sight. A bird choosing not just any old place for a nest but a place close to Jesus and that is where she raises her young. And guess what? We are welcome there!! He wants us to be in His presence. He is always with us in the midst of the chaos and the ups and downs that motherhood and homeschooling can bring! Just think – when we are in His presence there is peace, joy, and hope. There is comfort, grace, and mercy. There is love and protection.
Does that mean we will never make a mistake or feel worried, upset, angry, or desperate? Of course not! But we can turn to Him. As we are walking in Him, loving Him, and being mindful of His presence it will spill over into our children. Our children will see our example. They will see God and His work in our lives. Raise your young near Jesus. He’s right there calling to you. He invites us and our children to be near Him and make our home near Him. He wants us there.
So what does it look like when we are raising our children in His Presence? Here are a few practical things that you can do:
- Read the Word to your kids. Have your quiet times together.
- Play worship and Christian music in the background while you go about your day.
- Talk about God. Remind your children that He is there with them.
- Put Scriptures up around the house. This is a good way to keep the Word in front of you and your children.
- Speak the Word over your kids so they can hear what God says about them.
- Go a step further and help your kids declare God’s powerful Word over their own lives.
- Be quick to say sorry. When you mess up (we all do), tell your children you are sorry and you were wrong. Ask for forgiveness and talk to them about God’s grace, love, and forgiveness.
Those are just a few ideas. You don’t have to be perfect. His grace covers our imperfections as mothers. Be comforted in His presence.
That is why I chose the name “Sarah’s Nest”. Here I will talk about life, raising kids, homeschooling, practical household management tips, and curriculum reviews. Basically, anything that goes on in our nest. Our nest that is in His presence.